Monday, September 8, 2008

Memories of Okinawa

I have a friend who has been known to push my buttons and we disagree on just about every facet of life, but we found common ground after I shared my Okinawan experience. It brings tears to my eyes for some reason. I hope you enjoy it...
************



Rebecca you should know Okinawa is my second home. Once there visit Camp Kinser and then find the only three towers on the roadside facing the sea, a short distance from the gate.
Then, find the center tower and go to the 5th floor room 503. You will be standing outside our old home.

We weep for it.

Fortunate you are to visit and I hope you have had a wonderful trip.
Pay my respects to the hermit crabs on the shore and the tiny octopi in the shallows near the old grounded frieghter, which we have walked out to, but I understand you cannot any longer.

There are ghosts on that island, many of them, and other spirits too.

On the night we left, we vowed that when we die, resting under the sands of Okinawa would be the best place of all. We would watch the sun rise and set, and whisper to people, spirits, and hermit crabs until we had no more eyes or lips.


Okinawa is the best kept secret on the world maybe.

Lucky Rebecca.

Schwab, Hansen, Butler, Gonsalvez, even the Air Force's Kadena are all nice too but the magic lies on Kinser because of some ruins your family may or may not know about. At least, we assume that's why the ghosts are so thick in the winds there, and in the sans and shallow waters
.

1 comment:

Blake and Hollie said...

Well no matter where you live on Okinawa you will find many haunted places because the Okinawans are very supertitious. Camp Foster has a few hidden "treasures" of its own as do many of the bases. Okinawa went through a great battle and I think visiting the Suicide Cliffs would tell you a story unlike no other. Thousands of men commited suicide there because they didn't want to surrender to the Americans. Their "lives" still live there today.

I like your post!