Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our 'Ol Virginia Home



We bought our very first home in Virginia back in 2004. It was near the height of the real estate market there in suburban Virginia. It was so stressful buying your first home, let alone competing against at least 10 other people for the same house. We got the house and did basically no upgrades except for painting the kitchen.
Hollie...I don't know if you remember what it looked like before a NIGHTMARE!
Anyway, we heard from our old agent Joe who said our house was back on the market - in foreclosure :-( We sold it for $315,000 and the market has tanked so bad that it is for sale now for $145,000! I can't believe that we made $60,000 on our 11 month investment on that house and today it is worth nothing! I don't know why I'm sad about it. Maybe I'm upset about the color they used to paint the master bedroom.

3 comments:

Blake and Hollie said...

Oh, that is sad and I think I know why you feel that way. Because it was a part of you, and you have a history there. When I see the pictures of the empty house I see Greg's Liar, That 3rd bedroom...I don't even think you could get in there, I remember the kitchen quite well....you started recycling there. That's too bad, especially to see it foreclosed. I looked at the houses being sold where we were in VA and I am glad we sold when we did because they are all selling 40,000 then what we sold off of. Actually I don't know if we would have even made the nice profit that we did, we were very lucky. We might have broke even if we sold that house now or lost. Thats what scares me about buying a house again.

Rebecca said...

That 3rd bedroom was soooo tiny! I remember your house in Virginia, too! I'm glad we both got out of there before the market went down. But it is a nice time to buy if you want to stay in a house for a while. With us military folks...who knows? We are still renting out our house in Tennessee and we are breaking even on it. The homes appear to be appreciating there a little, so we won't lose our shirts too bad.

You are so right...we had a very nice history in that house. You, Blake, and the kids came out a few times, mom and dad, Kevin, Greg's parents, Grandma and Grandpa H., Mom and dad's Russian kids, Greg had a neighbor from his old neighborhood in Oregon stop in to see us. It was Tucker's first home. We had such good friends and neighbors there. I would like to go back, but I'd want to live INSIDE the beltway this time. Oh, the memories! Ahhh

keddoann said...

"WHOA!!! That is incredile. A drop in the market has nothing to do with you. But yes, it makes you feel bad when someone else suffers loss when you experienced gain!