Saturday, September 6, 2008

Drive Thru Etiquette


1. If this is your first time to a restaurant, do not use the drive-thru. This is not the time to "get-to-know" the restaurant or ask questions.


2. Know what you want before it's your turn at the squak box. Again, not the time to sit there and decide what you want.


3. Have your money ready. There are signs at tons of drive-thrus saying please have your money out and ready.


4. No special orders. I can accept the bean burrito with no onions, but nothing unique. We do not have time for that.


5. I polled some co-workers to determine the amount of time it is acceptable to wait at the drive thru after paying and receiving your order. The median time is 30 seconds. That gives you a moment to rifle through your order, put your change in your purse and shift into drive. I'm totally amazed at how long people chat with the employee or put on lipstick or whatever.


6. If you have a Cummins diesel big arse pickup truck or a 79 Volkswagen Dasher with blue smoke piling out of your exhaust pipe, shut off your engine at the window or forego the drive thru all together. Again...common courtesy.


7. If you are at a Starbucks drive thru, your maximum order (especially in the morning) is 2-4 drinks. Once again...common courtesy.

I reserve the right to come back and edit this or whatever. I really think that people have lost all sense of common courtesy and respect for others. I meant this to be a funny post, but I think it's dark and not funny. I probably need to lighten up.

4 comments:

Blake and Hollie said...

Ahhh, drive thru etiquette. Well put Rebecca. May I add my personal favorite? Can we add all orders onto one check at the drive through and not pay for 4 orders seperately! That really erks me!!

Nyla said...

I agree with the Starbucks number of coffees to order in the am! Don't even get me started on ordering gift cert during the holiday in the drive thru line!Our starbucks had to post a sign that said no more than two gift card orders in the drive thru line!

Blake and Hollie said...

Ha! I didn't even know anyone would order a gift certificate in the drive-thru! I would defintely do that inside. I don't think I could work a drive-thru.

Rebecca said...

It would NEVER occur to me to do a gift card thru the window. NOR, can I believe there would be separate orders in one car. As Judge Judy would say, "Outrageous!"